Saturday, August 11, 2012

Dog Friends

So getting a rescue dog is great.
For us.
For the dog.
For society.
Spaying and whacking balls off neutering is great.
Picking up your dog's poo is great.
All great.

Our needy dog was one day away from getting the needle.
She was underweight.
Had cysts.
Puncture wounds.


Scars.
Both external and internal scars.
We have no idea where she came from or anything about her history.
Other than she was found tied to the shelter's gate in South LA / Watts.
The gem of SoCal...

Rescue dogs come with baggage.
Same as if you meet a person after the age of two.
A puppy would have been easier less baggage.
But then again we have had no pee inside the boat.
No chewed anything.
Just baggage...

Lexie's baggage includes three things:
Can't be left alone.
Pulls on the leash.
Leash aggression.

The leash aggression we have narrowed down to:
Being afraid of other dogs.

So what do we do?
We introduce new dogs to her where she feels safe.
On her boat and dock (and yes, this is now her boat and I will tell my employers this is now her dock).
In her office (and yes, employers it is her office now).

And now she has friends.

She has Amber.


She has Brody.




Uh, well maybe Brody has her...


She has Katie.


She has Sailor.


She has Lucy.


She has Sophie.


She has Maya.


She has JoJo.


And she has a pony...

5 comments:

  1. Best of all... she has you and Jim. (She may think you have baggage too, but your baggage evidently is pretty comfy to her.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love her pony!! That is a dog I would love to have if I had a big yard. My dog pulls on the leash too and we did get her as a puppy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhhh thanks Jomamma! You are right about our baggage... I like a clean floor and have to vacuum - probably drives her nuts!

    And Jenn, that is Keith's brother's dog. His food alone would put the owner in the poorhouse!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot they got a super big dog! I wanted to see what he looked like, now I know. I bet he eats everything in sight.

    ReplyDelete